Moka Pot Brewing Guide
Stove Top (Moka Pot)The Moka Pot is a staple of Italian kitchens. It makes great espresso style coffee. Here are our top tips:
- Keep your Moka Pot clean. Letting dried liquid build up will affect the end results.
- Fill the bottom section with boiling water (ideally filtered) up to the two metal studs on the side.
- Fill the basket with finely ground coffee. Do not tamp or compact the coffee - the moka pot does not generate enough pressure to cope with compacted coffee, unlike an espresso machine. Just level the coffee with your finger.
- Screw on the top section and place onto heat source. Keep lid open so you can observe the flow.
- The first bit of brewed coffee to trickle out of the spout will be the strongest. Once the liquid flowing out start to go clear the extraction is complete. Remove from the heat and run cold water over the bottom section, or wrap in a wet cloth. This stops more coffee being brewed - anything that come out now won't taste very good. Letting all the water come through is not recommend.